The Dos and Don'ts of Videotape Care
By Jim Wheeler
- Store tape in a COOL and DRY place: 40° F to 70° F @ 20% to 30%
RH. The environment should not vary more than ±3°F and
- Use only new, brand-name tape when recording a tape for
- Use a Cleaning cassette after playing a damaged tape.
- Protect the VCR and tapes from dust.
- Follow the recommended maintenance practices for the VCR.
- Record at Standard-Speed with VHS.
- For long-term storage of Consumer formats, leave the tape on the
take-up hub after it has been in record or play.
- Before recording or storing non-consumer archival tapes,
shuttle the tape to the end and back.
- Always eject tape at the beginning or the end.
- Break off the Record tab to protect the recording.
Tape Restoration & Archival Services
- Don't leave VCRs or tapes in the sun or hot vehicle.
- Don't store tapes in a basement.
- Don't store tapes in a room with wood shelves or other
- Don't use Extended-Play tapes for long-term storage.
- Don't store the tapes in cardboard sleeves/boxes (acid) or
vinyl boxes (clorine).
1732 Tierra Nueva
Oceano, CA 93445
all CoOL documents]
Timestamp: Sunday, 23-Nov-2008 15:20:23 PST
Retrieved: Saturday, 20-Jan-2018 17:22:37 GMT