[Table of Contents]

Re: [ARSCLIST] Glass Records

And in my experience, glass based discs seem far less prone to palmitic acid.

Interesting statement, and one I had not heard before. We just finished surveying a few lacquer discs (almost all US), so just for fun I tried to run a query.

Of 1,925 with metal substrate, 375 have evidence of palmitic acid (19%). Of 123 glass-based, 22 have evidence of palmitic acid (18%).

"Further research is necessary", as they say ;-)

David Lennick wrote:

Marcos Sueiro Bal
Audio/Moving Image Archivist
Preservation Division