Re: Final Bookways issue

>Please. No more techno-trash. Give me real books, NOT collector's items. Low
>tech is more durable, more survivable, more portable, cheaper to produce and
>easier to replace, and doesnt require a power source other than the human
>brain to operate.  Whoever produces them, and however they're produced, books
>will always be superior to their 'electronic' copies, if for no other reason
>than because they are physical reality, not digital. They require of us what
>the world requires of us. Caring. Computers don't.
>
>VTY,
>Ned Ludd

Dear Ned Ludd (was that the original from which "luddite" derives?)

I love real books, and yes I love "real" books better than consciously made
"collector's items," although it seems inevitable that the best of books
made with love and caring (although I don't know if these get far enough
without imagination and intellect) will become collector's items. But a few
caveats: you don't need to see electronic media work as "copies" of
anything, anymore than you see books as "copies" of an oral tradition which
preceded them. It's simply a different thing, while still able to convey
some of the same information. Also, physical reality is trickier than you
may realize (see Einstein, Hawkings, other physicists and philosophers,
perhaps Wittgenstein most emphatically). And finally, it's communication, to
me, that requires us to care, no matter what form it comes in.

charles

Charles Alexander
Chax Press
P.O. Box 19178