Book Arts Meet

I'm reposting Michael Joseph's message on how to get on. I am there already
and you should be able to just type" @join Peter_Verheyen

See you there, Peter

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

To reach the chat, you need to have a telnet client. Netscape and
Mosaic should be able to launch your local telnet client: the url would
read telnet://moo.du.org:8888

If you have a system that supplies you with a telnet prompt, you need to
type only moo.du.org 8888 <nb, space instead of colon>

When you have elicited the Welcome Screen: type co guest (or, connect
guest>

At this point, you will discover that you have been endowed with a
temporary identity= <color>+guest, i.e. Sunstone_Guest, Obsidian_Guest.

It might be a good idea, here, to type @describe me "<your name>" This
way, we can identify each other. For example, If I, Michael_Joseph, am
in the room (I applied for and received a named character) and you, a
guest, walk in. I will see something like "Garnet_Guest has arrived." By
typing look garnet (or simply l garnet), I will read Garnet's
description. In place of the standard, slightly mocking description, you
will have put your name here, so that I will see that Garnet_Guest is,
in reality, Sid_Huttner, or Richard_Minsky, or Karen_Crisella or
Your_name.

At this point, you can either type the room number (I forget what it
is), or simply @join Peter_Verheyen. This command will bring you to
where Peter is, which is the place to be.

to speak aloud type ", followed by message. So, if Peter types "Welcome,
guests. Everyone will see Peter_Verheyen says "Welcome, Guests" (Notice
the wy the program nicely closes the quotation.)

to speak so that only one other person can read your text, type whisper
<message> to <character>, so that, if Peter_Verheyen is hosting a
discussion on Binding techniques and the Oral Tradition, while Speaker X
is speaking, I can indicate to Peter I would like to ask a question
without spattering my text across every screen, blighting Speaker X's
presentation. In a way, this is really like a device for helping ot
implement the principles of classroom behavior taught to us in
kindergarten. You'll be amazed at how quickly anarchy converges when
more than two people try to converse at one time.

Two neat devices:

Emoting. To indicate body language, try using the colon (I mean, the
mark of punctuation). So that :groans at this sophomoric joke (typed by
me) would appear on all other screens as Michael_Joseph groans at this
sophomoric joke.

paging. To speak to someone in a different room, try the page facility.
Say, you've connected as Teal_Guest, but can't figure out where to go,
or what to do next. All you remember is that Peter_Verheyen and some
other guy at least are probably in that book arts room. If you remember
the paging technique, you can type Page Peter_Verheyen with "Help! Beam
me down, Peter!" And, in the artsofthebook room, he will see on his
screen, Teal_Guest pages you "Help! Beam me down, Peter!" And you are
saved.

Remember, if you forget everything else, you can always type Help, and
help menus will be provided. Help communication will tell you how to
communicate (as well as you are able, at least). More specific
communication commands are also given help texts, so that help page will
tell you how to use the paging funciton, help speak will ...

Good luck. I think Peter is on to something here and Monday should prove
a novel and exhilarating (if slightly confusing) experience.
Syracuse University Library               <email>pdverhey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Syracuse, NY 13244                <Listowner>Book_Arts-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx