Yesterdays Chat

Yesterday's first list chat got off to a bumpy start with everyone trying to
figure out the system. After settling and agreeing on protocols (how to
speak, how to gesture, when to do those things) the discussion became fluid.
We had a total of 8 people on from various backgrounds and one high schooler
who wandered in and asked some good questions. Made me think, who do we do
our work for, ourselves or the world. The topic nebulous from the start
became by the end of the discussion, what defines a book, YES, that again
what is art, and went into hypertext, something which was discussed on the
list this past week. The time of 12:00 EST seemed to work for most people,
and those that survived the ordeal seemed eager to try it again. The
instructions for logging on are online in the archives and on the book arts
links page of my homepage. Please, feel free to meet a friend there and talk
and move around. it is the best way to become familiar with the medium and
space.

I would like to have another in two weeks. I think a topic would help get
things started as well. Hypertext was suggested, we could also do somethimg
like teaching the bookarts, Business experiences of people working freelance
and in private practice. What we do is up to all of you. Let's have fun with
this and make it grow.

I will be cleaning up the "capture file" of our chat and posting it to the
list. It will hopefully be on by the weekend or during it...

Peter
Syracuse University Library               <email>pdverhey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Syracuse, NY 13244                <Listowner>Book_Arts-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx