Re: book press and glue

I would add to the cautionary note on using "tons of pressure" on a leather
reback that in addition to the danger of blackening the leather there is the
added danger that the compensatory strip would show up as a dark
line in consequence.  One could omit it, of course, since the pressure
would take over the strip's function, but given the damage heavy pressure
can cause to an old textblock I cannot think of a circumstance when I would
take pressure over the use of the compensatory strip in rebacking an old book.
Dorothy A.
Africa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx