Re: Politikal Korrektness rears its appearance-challenged head

> E-mail is not
>employed with the same level of skill, consideration, and narrative integrity
>that the novelist, essayist, poet or accomplished letterwriter uses. It is by
>its nature reductive and ephemeral. Therefore, what it inspires in us is
>reductive and ephemeral. I think it's unsuited for the transmission of what's
>best in us.
>It's great for sharing 'recipes,' how-to's, how-do's, advice, information
>about the world 'outside.'

This would be interesting news to others I know on other lists who are
writing poems, novels, and essays either on e-mail, or sending them as
e-mail. I don't think e-mail is, "by its nature," necessarily reductive. It
becomes so because of how we use it. Whether or not it is ephemeral I might
leave up to the physicists. One could certainly say that the human voice is
entirely ephemeral -- here, then gone. Yet memory makes that not so. The
same is true for what one encounters in email or any other communication
medium. I am not arguing, nor would I argue, that email or any other
electronic medium is the "best" for transmitting "what's best in us," but I
also think no print or oral medium can make that claim, either. What's best
in us is entirely too various to reduce to a single mode of transmission.

Charles Alexander
Chax Press
P.O. Box 19178
Minneapolis, MN  55419-0178