Re: Sources of archival quality paper

On Wed, 15 Nov 1995, Sasowsky Norman wrote:

> I am interested in purchasing 500 sheets of 8-1/2 X 11" white, acid free
> paper stock that is suitable for xerox production, printing on two sides
> (little or no
> show through desired).

You've had a couple answers to that. Wyerhauser First Choice sounds like
a good stock for two sided xerography in some instances. Among papers made
for xerographic (and laser) printing, this paper offers ease of handling
that's hard to beat in an inexpensive paper.

Hammermill Laser will give you a sharper image. Hammermill Laser Plus may
not be the best stock for two sided printng because of its holdout backing.
Then again, that holdout backing (meant for use with hot wax in layout for
offset printing) may be useful if you'd like to use it in conjunction with
other papers (or other materials in general) because it allows for a wider
range of adhesives and other mixed media treatments.

I don't know about acidity in either case. The Wyerhauser has "archival
quality" listed as one of its features, but it doesn't say precisely what
that means. It shouldn't be too dificult to find out.

Both of these papers are available through a number of mail order
companies, probably including University Products and Gaylord. Since they're
inexpensive, it wouldn't hurt to order a ream of each: if they're not
suitable to this project, you'll almost certainly find other uses for them.

The biggest questions here, though, are how you want to work with the paper
and for what purpose. Both the papers mentioned do very well in accurate
reproduction: you'll get a better *copy* on one of these than on Mohawk
Superfine. But if you want to go beyond that, integrating the paper into
the process instead of simply using it, the best thing would seem to be to
swap some of the stock you've got on hand with surplus papers friends and
colleagues have on hand and see what works best with the text or image you
want to print. When you find what you're looking for, then all you have to
do is remember who gave you the stock and hope they remember where they got
it. . .

Best,

Karl Young