Re: Beginner's Binding References

A friend told me about a new online book dealer, and this thread
inspired me to try out their WWW catalog search interface.  I did a
simple keyword search for 'bookbinding' at http://www.amazon.com and
came up with a rather lengthy list of titles and prices, any of which
can be ordered from the Web.  I should add that each title is
hyperlinked, and that most of them seem to have some descriptive text
as well as a place for folks like us to insert comments.  This is
surely no substitute for the thrill I experienced upon finding a copy
of A. Watson's manual for only $3 in a used book shop, but someone may
find it useful.  I'm appending the list of results from my search and
would encourage you to try out the amazon.com site.  The design seems
to be very well thought out in addition to being easy to use.  No, I'm
not connected with the company in any way.

Here's the list:

     We can automatically notify you by email whenever books like those
     on this page are released in the future. Try our Personal
     Notification Service.

86 books shown.

The Art of Marbled Paper : Marbled Patterns and How to Make Them; Einen
Miura; Hardcover; $40.50

The Art of the Handmade Book : Designing, Decorating, and Binding
One-Of-A-Kind Books; Flora Fennimore; Paperback; $13.50

Basic Bookbinding; Arthur William Lewis; Paperback; $3.56

Book Craft (Fresh Start; H. Pluckrose; School & Library Binding; $16.65

Book Repair : A How-To-Do-It Manual for Librarians (How-To-Do-It Manuals for
School and Public Librarians, No. 4; Kenneth Lavender, Scott Stockton;
Paperback; $39.95

Bookbinding : Its Background and Technique; Edith Diehl; Paperback; $15.26

Books, Boxes, and Portfolios : Binding, Construction, and Design,
Step-By-Step; Franz Zeier; Hardcover; $33.26

Cover to Cover : Creative Techniques for Making Beautiful Books, Journals &
Albums; Shereen Laplantz; Hardcover; $22.46

The Craft of Bookbinding; Manly Banister; Paperback; $7.15

Creative Bookbinding; Pauline Johnson; Paperback; $11.65

Hey Look...I Made a Book!; Betty Doty, Rebecca Meredith; Paperback; $7.15

How to Clothbind a Paperback Book : A Step-By-Step Guide for Beginners;
Francis J. Kafka; Paperback; $2.66

How to Marbleize Paper : Step-By-Step Instructions for 12 Traditional
Patterns; Gabriele Grunebaum; Paperback; $2.66

Japanese Bookbinding : Instructions from a Master Craftsman; Kojiro Ikegami;
Hardcover; $31.46

Marbled Designs : A Complete Guide to Fifty-Five Elegant Patterns; Patty
Schleicher, Mimi Schleicher; Hardcover; $22.46

Marbleized Paper Patterns in Full Color (Dover Pictorial Archive; Lauren
Clark; Paperback; $8.95

Marbling Paper & Fabric; Carol Taylor, et al; Paperback; $11.65

Marbling Paper and Fabric; Carol Taylor; Hardcover; $19.76

Non-Adhesive Binding; Keith A. Smith; Paperback; $30.00

The Thames and Hudson Manual of Bookbinding; Arthur W. Johnson; Paperback;
$14.35

Victorian Bookbindings : A Pictorial Survey; Sue. Allen; Paperback; $31.25

105 Helpful Marbling Hints; Paperback; $12.50 (Special Order)

The Archaeology of Bookbinding; Szirmai; Hardcover; $85.95 (Not Yet
Published)

Art of Book-Binding : Its Rise and Progress : Including a Descriptive
Account of the New York Book-Bindery; Edward Walker; Hardcover; $30.00
(Special Order)

Basic Bookbinding/1620158; Paperback; $6.30 (Special Order)

Bibliopegia (History of Bookbinding Technique and Design Vol 5; John
Hannett; Hardcover; $93.00 (Special Order)

Binding and Finishing (Publisher's Guide Series; Geoff Potter; Hardcover;
$56.50 (Special Order)

Blind Panels of English Binders (History of Bookbinding and Design Vol 19;
Sidney F. Huffner; Hardcover; $80.00 (Special Order)

Book Binding With Adhesives; Tony Clark; Paperback; $10.80 (Special Order)

The Book Finishers' Friendly Circular (The History of Bookbinding and Design
Vol 6; Sidney Huttner; Hardcover; $43.00 (Special Order)

Bookbinding; R. Fleck; Hardcover; $30.00 (Special Order)

Bookbinding; Johnson; Hardcover; $10.80 (Special Order)

Bookbinding & Conservation by Hand : A Working Guide; Laura S. Young;
Hardcover; $31.50 (Not Yet Published -- On Order)

Bookbinding & Conservation by Hand : A Working Guide; Laura S. Young;
Paperback; $22.46 (Not Yet Published -- On Order)

Bookbinding : A Manual of Techniques; Pamela Richmond; Hardcover (Publisher
Out Of Stock)

Bookbinding : A Manual of Techniques; Pamela Richmond, Pamela Richmond;
Paperback (Publisher Out Of Stock)

The Bookbinding Career of Rachel McMasters Miller Hunt; M, Titcombe;
Hardcover; $12.00 (Special Order)

The Bookbinding Craft and Industry (History of Bookbinding and Design Vol
15; Thomas Harrison; Hardcover; $51.00 (Special Order)

Bookbinding in Early America : Seven Essays on Masters and Methods; Hannah
D. French; Hardcover; $49.95 (Special Order)

Bookbinding With Adhesives; Tony Clark; Hardcover; $22.51 (Not Yet Published
-- On Order)

Bookbinding, a Guide to the Literature; Vito Joseph Brenni; Hardcover;
$42.95 (Special Order)

Bookbindings Old and New (The History of Bookbinding and Design Vol 12;
Brander Matthews; Hardcover; $101.00 (Special Order)

The Business of Bookbinding (The History of Bookbinding and Design Vol 14;
Sidney F. Huffner; Hardcover; $59.00 (Special Order)

Creative Bookbinding; Paperback (Special Order)

Durable Hardcover Binding for Books (National Information Standards Series ;
Ansi/Niso Z39.66-1992; Hardcover; $25.01 (Not Yet Published)

Durable Hardcover Binding for Books (National Information Standards
Series/Z39.66-1992; National Information Standards Organization; Paperback;
$35.00 (Special Order)

Early American Bookbindings from the Collection of Michael Papantonio;
Michael Papantonio; Paperback; $22.50 (Special Order)

Early Bindings in Paper : A Brief History of European Hand-Made
Paper-Covered Books With a Multilingual Glossary (Professional Librarian
Series; Michele Valerie Cloonan; Hardcover; $38.50 (Special Order)

Early Eighteenth Century English Works on Bookbinding (History of
Bookbinding Ser; Michele V. Cloonan; Hardcover; $50.00 (Special Order)

Easy-To-Make Decorative Boxes and Desk Accessories : 73 Projects Using
Printed Papers and Fabrics; Annette Hollander; Paperback; $5.95 (Special
Order)

English Blind-Stamped Bindings (History of Bookbinding and Design Vol 18;
Sidney F. Huffner; Hardcover; $108.00 (Special Order)

The Evolution of Publishers' Binding Styles, 1700-1900 (The History of
Bookbinding and Design Vol 16; Michael Sadleir; Hardcover; $46.00 (Special
Order)

Fine Bookbinding in the Twentieth Century; Roy Harley Lewis; Hardcover;
$17.98 (Special Order)

Five Centuries of English Bookbinding; Howard M. Nixon; Hardcover; $35.00
(Special Order)

Flemish and Related Panel-Stamped Bindings : Evidence and Principles;
Staffan Fogelmark; Hardcover; $100.00 (Special Order)

>From Gothic Windows to Peacocks American Emposed Leather Bindings 1825-1855;
Ed Wolf; Hardcover; $85.00 (Special Order)

Future of Hand Bookbinding; Samual Ellenport; Hardcover; $130.00 (Special
Order)

Guide to the Library Binding Institute Standard for Library Binding; Jan
Merrill-Oldham, et al; Paperback; $15.00 (Special Order)

Hand-Made Books : An Introduction to Bookbinding; Rob Shepherd; Paperback
(Publisher Out Of Stock)

An Historical Sketch of Bookbinding (The History of Bookbinding and Design
Vol 11; S.T. Prideaux; Hardcover; $64.00 (Special Order)

How to Make a Book : An Illustrated Guide to Making Books by Hand; John Paul
Barrett; Hardcover; $17.50 (Special Order)

How to Make Cloth Books for Children; Paperback (Special Order)

Humanists and Bookbinders : The Origins and Diffusion of the Humanistic
Bookbinding 1459-1559 With a Census of Historiated Plaquette and Medallion
bin; Anthony Hobson; Hardcover; $145.00 (Special Order)

A Jeweler's Eye : Islamic Art of the Book from the Vever Collection; Glenn
D. Lowry, Susan Nemazee; Paperback; $26.95 (Special Order)

Joseph Cundall on Bookbinding History (History of Bookbinding and Design Vol
7; Joseph Cundall; Hardcover; $86.00 (Special Order)

A Lecture on Bookbinding As a Fine Art (The History of Bookbinding and
Design Vol 8; Robert Hoe; Hardcover; $65.00 (Special Order)

The Making of the Book : A Sketch of the Book-Binding Art (Oak Knoll Series
on the History of the Book; Alfred John Cox; Hardcover; $25.00 (Special
Order)

Marbled Paper : Its History, Techniques, and Patterns : With Special
References to the Relationship of Marbling; Richard J. Wolfe; Hardcover;
$125.00 (Special Order)

Modern Bookbinding Practically Considered (The History of Bookbinding and
Design Vol 10; Sidney F. Huttner; Hardcover; $43.00 (Special Order)

Non-Adhesive Binding; Paperback (Special Order)

Papermaking and Bookbinding; Sandy Kinnee; VHS Tape; $89.99 (Special Order)

The Practical Guide to Craft Bookbinding; Arthur W. Johnson; Paperback
(Publisher Out Of Stock)

The Practical Guide to Marbling Paper; Anne Chambers; Paperback; $14.95
(Special Order)

The Progress of the Marbling Art (The History of Bookbinding and Design Vol
9; Sidney F. Huttner; Hardcover; $64.00 (Special Order)

The Restoration of Leather Bindings (Ltp Publications ; No. 18; Bernard C.
Middleton; Paperback; $40.00 (Special Order)

The Restoration of Leather Bindings (Ltp Publications ; No. 20; Bernard C.
Middleton; Paperback; $45.00 (Special Order)

A Short Historical Sketch of the Art of Bookbinding/Bibliopegy in the United
States and Kindred Subjects; William Loring Andrews; Hardcover; $64.00
(Special Order)

Shrewsbury School Library Bindings (The History of Bookbinding and Design
Vol 17; J. Basil Oldham; Hardcover; $130.00 (Special Order)

Studies in the History of Bookbinding; Mirjam Foot, Mirjam M. Foot;
Hardcover; $109.95 (Special Order)

Target II : 5 American Photographers; Anne Tucker; Paperback; $7.83 (Special
Order)

The Thames and Hudson Manual of Bookbinding; Paperback (Special Order)

The Tradition of Fine Bookbinding in the Twentieth Century : Catalogue of an
Exhibition 12 November 1979 to 15 February 1980; Bernadette G. Callery,
Marianne Mosimann; Hardcover; $25.00 (Special Order)

Two Early Nineteenth Century Bookbinding Manuals (The History of Bookbinding
and Design Vol 4; Sudney F. Huttner; Hardcover; $57.00 (Special Order)

Victorian Publishers' Bindings; Douglas Ball; Hardcover; $38.50 (Special
Order)

Works of Ralph Green; Ralph Green; Hardcover; $24.95 (Special Order)

The Zaehnsdorfs, 1842-1947 : Craft Bookbinders; Frank Broomhead; Hardcover;
$40.00 (Special Order)

Go to Keyword Search now.
               [ BUY ITEMS NOW | VIEW YOUR SHOPPING BASKET ]

  [ Home | Browse the Shelves | Eyes & Editors | Your Account | Email Us |
                                   Help ]
Copyright ) 1995 Amazon.com, Inc.
webmaster@xxxxxxxxxx

--