Re: Inkjet printing.

Henry Wilhelm has done research in the area of permanence of inkjet
printers (color) which he published in his book, THE PERMANENCE AND CARE
OF COLOR PHOTOGRAPHS:  TRADITIONAL AND DIGITAL COLOR PRINTS, COLOR
NEGATIVES, SLIDES, AND MOTION PICTURES. 1993, Grinnell:  preservation
Publishing.

My understanding of his results is that the inks have been rather poor in
light stability, but that is changing-- and quickly.  Two commercial
brands that Wilhelm felt were better are:  Iris Graphics ink jet color
printers (300 dpi) and Store jet prints.   The inks are water-soluble and
coatings are available.  It is my understanding that the inkjet process
is fine--it's just the current materials which are used as ink are the
limiting factor.

The Iris Graphics printers will probably be beyond the financial
resources of most book artist's.  Wilhelm states model 4012 (10 x 17 inch
images) is $39,000!; model 3047 (34 x 46 inch images possible) is a
"mere" $123,00.00 (USA).

Wilhlem also concluded that most of the inks(especially those prior to
1992) are, or should be suspected of having, poor light stability.  (inks
that are used for this process, that is....)

Stephanie Watkins
swatkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx