Re: adhesive for paper to wood

The question really seems to be (to me) why mount oil and acrylic
paintings onto wood (masonite)?  Wood is far more acidic (and perhaps
oiled or off-gassing formaldehyde) than the adhesives mentioned.  A
REALLY thick layer of adhesive of any kind would be necessary to protect
the paper from destruction from the wood.  THere are many alternative
choices such as Gatorboard, Microchamber and artcare boards (molecular
sieves), honeycombed paper boards, etc. which would give you the solid
support you desire, and probably not much more cost and at significant
decrease in weight.  Are you mounting your painted paper artworks so that
they will command higher prices in a gallery?  Or part of your aesthetic
or technique?

Purified wheat starch paste is certainly preferred over refined protein
glues.  I imagine you might have problems with blanching of your oil
paint (moisture from the adhesive messing around with the oil content,
sort of) and depending on the thickness of your paint layer and the
amount of moisture in the paper, your paper (even 140 lb) could expand in
the unpainted areas, causing unsightly cockles, creases, buldges, etc.

If the paper has been heavily sized with gesso (I'm assuming a commercial
liquid polymer is what you mean or did you mean REAL gesso?), etc., have
you considered perhaps one of the synthetic dry mount tissues?  Its a
"one-way system---once you use it, it's ---- near impossible to remount
with a natural adhesive,"  but you would not have an expansion problem.
Can the painting take the heat required?  (approx. 175 degrees Fahrenheit
on average).

Just ideas late in the evening.  Best of luck with whatever you decide
suits your needs.

Stephanie Watkins
swatkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx