Re: Toner Stability

Like other list members, I've found that occasional failure to bond toner
to quality papers is a heating problem. For starters, I'd avoid running
such a job first thing in the day or when the printer has been on power
saver. Running another job first will raise the temperature quite a bit,
and that may be all you need.
        For increased heat penetration on thick paper, I prefer to set the
document up manual feed with a blank page before the one I want to print
and then run the same piece of paper through twice in succession. The first
run with no info. heats the paper in advance and the second run transfers
more successfully as a result of the additional heat. Some people reload
the printed page and run that through on a second blank pass, but I prefer
to heat with the blank first rather than after printing. Since the problem
is insufficient toner adherence, I find that printing the "heating blank"
second sometimes leaves toner behind on the drum. Regardless of which
order, it's not a bad idea to run a blank through when you finish, since
this will sometimes pick up a bit of toner that a super smooth copier paper
wouldn't, and you'll cut down buildup on your printer.
        It's also possible that your printer is consistently not heating as
much as intended; a service technician can check and adjust this. The
demands of printing to high-grade paper may be revealing a problem that's
not apparent on regular copier paper, and correcting that will improve
printer performance generally (and help avoid toner buildup).
        If you have the option of trying several different printers, that
may help. Some printers run much hotter than others by design (for
instance, our large HPs run quite a bit hotter than our Apple
Laserwriters).
        Where the instability is discovered after you print the page, I
have followed Ed's suggestion of Krylon with success. This is a standing
"cheap trick" for improving the contrast of camera-ready laser originals
when preparing negs. for offset, and it will fix the toner to the page (but
beware: as Ed warned, too much Krylon and the toner will bleed out into
it).

David Marshall, Publications & Media Division, Federal Judicial Center
1 Columbus Circle NE, Washington DC 20002-8003 USA
vox 202-273-4204 x 252  fax 202-273-4025  internet dmarshal@xxxxxxx