Re: Ironing paper

>Many years ago I read a delightful essay (I don't remember where) about
>a man who ironed his copy of the Manhattan Yellow Pages.
>     The NYC Yellow Pages are a wonderful resource if you're trying to
>buy something exotic or find a special service; but (as the narrator of
>the essay pointed out)--because they weren't distributed to the the
>neighboring counties surrounding NYC--they were a hotly-prized item,
>and difficult to acquire.
>     The narrator was driving north out of Manhattan one rainy evening
>when, while stopped for a light, he saw a copy of the current edition
>of the Manhattan Yellow Pages lying in the street. It was soaking wet,
>but he took it in and brought it home. He dried it out as best he
>could, but it was now fan-shaped and still very damp towards the
>gutters.
>     To make the book usable, he commandeered his wife's ironing board
>and began, one leaf at a time, to iron the pages flat. His wife thought
>he was a lunatic; but it took him a very long time to do it, and she
>and his family got quite used to watching dad ironing the phone book,
>evening and weekends....
>

>--
>Terry Belanger  :  University Professor  :   University of Virginia

I once did something similar when I was reading a fascinating
paperback in the bath, and I dropped it...

In aristocratic circles it was common in England for butlers to iron
the morning paper before giving it to the master.

Tim Sheppard                   tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Lilliput Press  -   Publisher of fine books in miniature