Exhibit of Bookworks of Miriam Schaer

Dear Friends,

This is to let you know that John Jay College is staging an exhibition of
my books. If you are in Manhattan, or in the area, please stop by.

The exhibit is titled: Miriam Schaer/Bookworks & Muhsana Ali/Paintings.
It can be viewed through April 29 at the John Jay Gallery, John Jay
College, Room 322T, 899 Tenth Avenue [between West 58 & West 59 Sts.], New
York NY.

Exhibition hours for the Gallery are 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., Mondays through
Thursdays; and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Fridays [212-237-8325 for further
information]

A reception for the artists will be held at the Gallery on Tuesday,
April 16, 5 to 8 p.m.

For those not familiar with my work, my books are unique, one-of-a-kind
structures that transform such everday objects as dresses, girdles, sock
dryers, and aprons into books. My more traditional books tend to have such
objects as dollhouse dishes, plastic toys, branches and beading embedded
into the covers. The objects are often carried into the interior pages,
becoming the touchstones for stories the books also include.

I have completed six new pieces, including three of what I refer to as
"girdle books" for this show. The show also displays some earlier works,
including several pieces created for my solo show at The Robert McLaughlin
Gallery in Ontario, Canada in 1994.

One work in the exhibit, "We are Happy to Serve You," can be previewed on
the Web. one of my few editions, Check out the home page of the Lower East
Side Print Shop at http://www.webmark.com/printshp/01front.htm. One of my
few works developed as an edition, "We are Happy to Serve You" is printed
in gum bichromate in an edition of 8. Each book is bound using a different
hostess apron.

A double invitation was created for this show. The black-and-white card
features "Baby Love," a one-of-a-kind book I bound in a toddler dress, and
Muhsana Ali's "The Life Series," a fabric, bas-relief painting. If you
would like to receive a card, please e-mail me your postal address. I will
be happy to send one, while supplies last.

Due to a move, I have not been on the list for a while. I am back on again
and can be reached at the e-mail address noted below. I still have about
100 boxes to unpack--of books.

Regards,
Mimi Schaer
104222.3531@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx