Tyvek

At the GBW Standards Conference in Bloomington, IN, some years back Hedi
Kyle gave a great presentation on some alternative binding/boxing structures
in which she also covered tyvek. She seems to use it alot and colors it
using acrylics mixed with clear acrylic medium. For more rigidity (to mimic
limp vellum / paper case bindings) she laminates several layers together
using PVA then pressing them so they stay flat. One can also use laminated
tyvek as slips for sewing on, colored differently they make a nice contrast
to the cover. I used her technique for coloring the Tyvek once using
"traditional" pastepaper patterns and was pleased with the results.

Peter

Syracuse University Library               <email>pdverhey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Syracuse, NY 13244                <Listowner>Book_Arts-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx