Re: Needle breakage in oversewn binding

You should probably switch to double-fan adhesive binding anyway. With the
proper adhesive and equipment such as the Planax fan glue device (there are
several models) it is possible to bind the books pre-rounded so that they
stay round. Thus bound the books will also open up infinitely better with
less strain on the binding.

Oversewing is akin to mutilation, but that's just my opinion.

As to buffering the paper with up to 30% CACO3, I don't think that's
possible. I believe that 3% CACO3 is the accepted standard for permanent
papers. As far as I know it isn't even possible to bring CACO3 into solution
at those levels.

Peter

Syracuse University Library               <email>pdverhey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Syracuse, NY 13244                <Listowner>Book_Arts-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx