Re: Mold question.

  Might I suggest checking the CoOL, Conservation OnLine, web site.
Sorry I don't have the url but it is linked to most of the book sites on
the web.  CoOL has an archives of all questions and answers posted on the
Conservation DistList and I know mold in books has been discussed.  I
strongly discourage brushing the pages with alcohol.  Alcohol and the
additives used in rubbing alcohol could be a solvent for inks and other
printing media.  As you drag the brush or wipe the alcohol across the
page you may end up with smearing. Microwaving is *definitely* out.  Not
only is there the chance of damaging the oven because of hidden metal in
the books, but you may scorch the books because of hidden metal.  Then
there's the unseen damage to the paper's cellulosic chains
which results in the paper becoming brittle.

  Is it mold or mildew that is the problem?  From the description it
sounds more like mildew.  In that case, a good airing out of the books in
question should take care of it.  The stains are there for good.  Careful
storage in a dry, cool, well ventilated space should prevent further
problems.

Bobbie Pilette
Preservation & Conservation Studies
Graduate School of Library & Information Science
University of Texas-Austin