Review: Ann Montanaro's POP-UP World

http://www.rutgers.edu/rulib/spcol/montanar/p-ex.htm

It's great. You gotta see it. Excellent selection of material, elegantly
presented. I'm no expert on POPups, and this website provides a diverse
survey. The variety, selection and photoes at this site are excellent.

I will return to the site, having seen enough in 15 minutes to write this
short note. I only clicked on two of the nine sections. The menu is a
tasteful 3x3 jpg table with thin purple dividing lines. One secion was
called *NOT For Children* (the image button is "e-cock.jpg", a modest 6233
byte file with excellent detail). It takes you to a page called
*Adult-images*, which will probably bring Rutgers thousands of horny
viewers who are searching for porn with WebCrawler. They'll find POPUP
books on such adult subjects as Mixing the perfect Martini and Pugilism.

For members who don't know them:

The Pop-Up World of Ann Montanaro is the first World Wide Web exhibition
created and maintained by the Rutgers University Libraries, of Rutgers, the
State University of New Jersey. The books depicted here have all been drawn
from the collection of Ann Montanaro, who collaborated on the organization
of this exhibition and authored its captions and discursive texts. The
exhibition was designed and organized by Michael Joseph.

Ann Montanaro is Head of Systems and Bibliographic Database Management at
Rutgers University Libraries. She is a collector of pop-up and movable
books, and the author of Pop-up and Movable Books: A Bibliography. She is
also the founder of The Movable Book Society, and editor of its newsletter,
Movable Stationery.

Michael Joseph is The Rare Book and Jerseyana Catalog Librarian at Rutgers
University Libraries. He gave me Peter Verheyen's e-mail address and the
Book_Arts-L, which was a great lesson in binding.

Fortunately my screen was set at 1024 x 768 resolution, which they
recommend. This old machine (14.4, 486-66, win 3.1, stupid vga utility)
requires restarting Windows to change the resolution.

Only criticism: My multitasking Netscape 2.0 browser slowed to a crawl with
those scrolling pages of many images. At 50-70K per image, one page was
over half a megabyte! The images download simultaneously, slowing the rate
per image to 300 bytes/sec. It takes several minutes before the first image
is complete.  I'd rather see separatefast pages with good navigation (text
or 3K thumbnail button), or a mode like ww2.granarybooks.com/granarybooks/
(where a  thumbnail menu in a side frame allows you to select the main
frame choice, and clicking a page in the main frame calls the next page).
So go make yourself an egg cream while the page is loading--it's worth
spending some time here.

colophon.com gallery will have a link to it soon.

--

Richard
http://www.minsky.com