Results of the "What's cook'en in Ireland" inquiry

Several people asked that I post to  the list the results of my inquiry re
printing & book-arts in Ireland...here 'tis

A National Print Museum just opened last month, but it is a small enough
affair. It is in the old chapel of the Beggar's Bush barracks in Ballsbridge
(Dublin). The phone number is (01)  660.3770. Ireland doesn't have much in
the way of book arts or private presses. In fact, even though Ireland was the
last EU country to use letterpress commercially, they junked nearly all of
the old technology in the space of about 5 years. To get equipment for
private press, you really have to go to England (although strange things do
turn up at provincial newspapers and convents). Anyway, anything book-related
here has more to do with bibliography. If you're in Northern Ireland, you can
see an 18th century printing office in Strabane, Co Tyrone, called Gray's. It
is owned by the National Trust. If you're near Belfast, the Ulster Folk and
Transport Museum has a folk  village with a turn-of-the-century printing
office. Back in Dublin, Marsh's library is an 18th century library in its
original building (behind Patrick's cathedral). In Trinity college, the
Closet Press has a lot of the old Cuala Press equipment, but it's not open to
the public.
************
I read somewhere recently that there is a museum of printing in the town
of Cashel.  Vincent Kinane at Trinity College Dublin can probably answer
your question better than anyone.  I think his e-mail address is <vkinane
@tcd.ie>.  If this doesn't work, let me know.  Phil Weimerskirch,
Providence Public Library <PHILWH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
************
Re Ireland: I was there in 1989, just before PBI. There was no printing
museum that I could find then, but some interesting books with Ogham (related
to Runes) in the musuem and some interesting Viking caskets in the big museum
there. Ialso heard that there is a new Modern museum that might be
interesting. Of course, there IS the BOOK of KELLS, and the Book of Dimma at
Trinity College, a must see even though you have to go and stand in line.
Didn't find a lot of book activity there or in Wales. It seemed to have to do
with economics, although I know there is a press in North Wales that does
exquisitie work.
************
Near Shannon there is a tourist attraction that consists of various
reconstructed historic dwellings and a castle.  In one of the buildings
was a printer producing woodblock prints that were then painted
individually with watercolors.  These pictures illustrated poems or
sayings.

That was all I found in Ireland when I was there in 1989 or 1990.  I
asked at used book stores, too, but most people didn't even know what a
small press was.  Could be I just didn't ask in the right places.
Anthony Caines works in the conservation department of Trinity College
Library.  My experience with him was not very congenial, but that
doesn't mean someone else's might not be.
 Tell your friend to see Vincent Kinane at Trinity College in Dublin.
He's in charge of Early Printed Books & runs the Trinity Closet Press. He
can lead your friend to other printers in the area. If possible, I'd like
to know of any other presses your friend locates in Dublin. We're always
interested in hearing from fine/private presses for our collection here.

That's all there is, there ain't no more!