ICG Bookcloth

We use quite a bit of the ICG "D" grade, starch filled buckram and recently
reordered several hundred yards of it. ICG seems to have changed the
formulation for the cloth and it is no longer as nice to work as it once
was. The new batches seem much stiffer and don't take the moisture from the
glue as readily. We've also had adhesion problems with it, regardless of
whether we use the 50/50 mixture of PVA/Methylcellulose or straight PVA. In
some case we have had bubbles for several days-weeks after covering. We do
not have these problems with the old batches.

Anyone else have any insights on this?

Peter

Syracuse University Library               <email>pdverhey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Syracuse, NY 13244                <Listowner>Book_Arts-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx