history of vellum binding

I'm working on a book including examples of several different vellum
structures and am in search of the histroy of any vellum structures and
how they developed. Specifically, how and why did they change over time,
why did they develop "yaps", different folding methods, spines,
materials, etc.  Any help would be greatly appreciated--books, resouces,
contacts, etc.
I am interning at the American Philosophical Society (APS) with Hedi Kyle
and Denise Carbone and can be reached at:<hkyle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>