[Fwd: QUERY: Damaged 1736 Sir Walter Raleigh History of the World]

To: biblio@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 96 07:53 CST
Subject: QUERY: Damaged 1736 Sir Walter Raleigh History of the World
Sender: owner-biblio@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

     A fellow book dealer has had a calamity in his basement! He has had
     water damage to a number of important books. The book I am enquiring
     about is a 1736 edition of Sir Walter Raleigh's History of the World.
     It is an 11th edition but 1st thus including a biography of Raleigh.
     The book is BADLY damaged. The leather has completely curled off the
     boards and the spines are shriveled. The only things salvagable (I
     think) are the maps. I'm not sure how many there are, but would guess
     between 15 and 30. These are two page, folio size and are attached on
     stubs. The individual maps are NOT dated on the page. If they were I
     would suggest removing them and selling them individually. Since they
     aren't I would appreciate any advice on how to salvage something from
     this misfortune.

     Thnaks in advance for your suggestions