Re: MOMA

Thanks, Richard, for your summary regarding book arts and their position in
museums, the need not to be relegated to libraries, and the progress made
over the last 20 years.

I don't know if I agree that most of the work would belong in sculpture
departments. I think a real strength of the book arts is that they do not
fit too comfortably anywhere in the traditional structures. I certainly
agree that there are problems with access in libraries that inhibit the
formation of a truly informed public. Not to knock librarians, many of whom
are doing an outstanding job. I also imagine there will be problems as
museums begin collecting book arts more, problems like what part of the
permanent collection to exhibit. A wing of a major museum devoted to book
arts would indeed be a marvelous thing.

>From some of my work in institutions, however, I worry a bit that some of
the excitement about funding book arts projects was greater when the field
was somewhat more unknown and "new." The sustenance of the book arts
exhibitions and programs at many places around the country may indicate that
there is still great potential for such funding, perhaps that it is just
being dispersed more widely than ever.

And I certainly agree that all that we do -- book arts works which are made,
classes taught, exhibitions mounted, articles written, critical books
published, journals circulated, etc. -- are still crucially important in
developing this amazing artistic field and in developing the audience for it.

charles