Re: Repair water damaged offset lithograph prints

On Thu, 11 Jul 1996, vosberg wrote:

> This may be a stupid question, but is there any way of repairing water
> damage to paper?  When speaking to an appaisor, he asked if any conservation
> work could be done to them and I replied no, the only thing that could be
> done is to matt them up to the picture edge.  Is this incorrect?

The short answer is yes, they can be restored. The long answer is that
paper conservators debate endlessly about exactly what to do. What I would
do (and here I launch myself into a pit of vipers) is immerse each print
in a solution of Chloramine T (2g per 100ml water). Pour off as much as
possible, and let the print air dry. Don't worry if it gets wrinkly
looking. Then soak the print in a vat of clean water for four hours.
Carefully remove and blot with paper towels. Sandwich the wet print
between two pieces of clean white blotting paper and pile some books of
top. I use a nipping press, but anything sort of heavy and flat will do.
Let it dry overnight. The next day, voila, it will be flat and clean, with
no water stains. You can get Chloramine T (it's cheap) from TALAS in NYC.

N.B. This method may fade some red dyes, so caveat emptor. But I've used
it plenty with great success.

Steve

Steven D. Hales
Assistant Professor           email: hales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Department of Philosophy      phone: (717) 389-4229
Bloomsburg University         fax: (717) 389-2094
Bloomsburg, PA 17815