effects of preservatives on value

A friend and I have been debating about the effect on the value of a leather-
bound book by using a preservative, such as Fredelka Formula.  He claims that
by using such a preservative, you alter the book sufficiently so as to greatly
reduce (sorry about the split infinitive) the value of the book.  I disagree.
Although I believe that a book in pristine condition (not in need of such
preservation treatment) would be more valuable than one which is preserved
 by such treatment, I don't think it alters the book, it merely preserves it.
Can someone help us settle this debate?

Thanks,
Andrew Richmond
richmonda@xxxxxxxxxx