Re: BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 18 Jul 1996 to 19 Jul 1996

On Thu, 18 Jul 1996, Hedi Kyle wrote:

>         I am in the process of dyeing some airplane linen and cotton muslin
>         to use for cloth rebackings of 19th century publishers bindings.
>         Would anyone like to share their technigue with me. I have used
>         both acrylic paint and Dr. Martins dyes. I am also interested in
>         how you allow them to dry (on plexi, hung, stretched) and if you
>         add anything to the dye especially so it doesn't run or fade.
>         thanks,
>         denise carbone, assistant conservator
>         American Philosophical Society
>         E-mail: hkyle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have not done any dyeing for bookarts end-uses, but with mucho experience in
fabric dyes and paints, I would suggest getting the Dharma Trading Co.'s
free catalog (800) 542-5227. It is much more descriptive and user-friendly
than the Prochem catalog. Dr. Martin's "dyes" are a bit of a misnomer, I
believe. They are really just a concentrated watercolor, and are very
fugitive. The procion dyes that someone suggested to you are a good
multi-purpose professional textile
dye for all non-synthetic fibers. They need auxillary chemicals and are a
bit tricky at first. You may be better off with an all inclusive fabric
paint which you can brush on and air dry. I would try one that has a thin
consistency, like Setacolor flowable fabric paint by Pebeo, Jaquard Textile
Colors, or Dye-na-Flow. All are available from Dharma. Also you can find
some of these at Utrecht or Taws here in Philly. Good luck!

jeanne adams
textile artist
915 spring garden st.