leather darkening

Hi...

I am making a spine repair to an 1883 leather-bound volume using
jaconette. When I pasted the original leather down over the repair
(with rice starch paste), in certain places the moisture from the
paste seems to have seeped through and darkened the leather. It is now
fully dry and has not lightened fully, although some lightening did
occur. Help!! How can I return this leather to its original color? It
is, of course, right on the front cover. Any suggestions?
--
Jenny Monesson
6250 Velasco Ave.