Re: The Book in Colonial America

On Thu, 25 Jul 1996, Susan Kapuscinski Gaylord wrote:

> Summer greetings to all. I have written on the list before about teaching
> bookmaking to kids and am in the process of preparing a new workshop for the
> fall on the Book in Colonial AMerica. The students will be grades 1-6. I will
> begin the session with some historical background and then each student will
> make a blank book. I will be visiting Sturbridge Village (Sturbridge, MA) and
> the American Antiquarian Society (Worcester, MA) to do research. I would also
> like to visit a letterpress printer in this area (Newburyport, MA, about 30
> miles north of Boston). I want to explain the printing process to the
> students and perhaps have some type for them to see. I would appreciate any
> recommendations for resources and books. Thank you.
> Susan
> Susan Kapuscinski Gaylord
> gaylordsk@xxxxxxx

Dear Susan,

Sturbridge Village has a working period job shop that the last time I was
there had a cast iron acorn style hand press and all the suitable period
tidbits...and best of all...they were printing!  You might check with
them to arrange a special demo.

Have fun!

M i c h a e l   M o r i n          Instructional Media Librarian
                   D'Youville College Library
            Email:  ba202@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Co-Moderator: Preservation SIG The Preservation Coalition
Member: The Buffalo Free-Net Information Development Committee