Re: Jenny- leather darkening & dying cloth

Scott Kellar mentioned sanding the darkened area and applying wax or
consolidant. If the darkened area is too deep to be cleaned up by
sanding, you might try recoloring it with gouache before the wax. To
avoid this problem I've used PVA to reapply old spines. Someone a few
days ago mentioned the necessity of using a reversible adhesive such a
Klucel, and while reversiblity is recommended is all conservation work,
this is  one area where it might not be so important. When the book next
needs to be rebacked or repaired, no one is going to use a solvent to
release the advesive that has been used to reapply old leather. I've
rebacked numerous volumes that have been previously rebacked and I've
lifted the old spine and sides using a knife in a conventional manner.
PVA has the advantages of low water content, which prevents the leather
darkening, and high initial tack which aids in successful adhesion.
I'm very cautious about using Klucel in ethanol as a consolidant even
though this is often recommended in the conservation literature. I've had
a few experiences where this, too, will burn the leather.
While I'm here I might as well tell of a method of dying cloth I've
occasionally used, which has been another topic of recent interest. I've
successfully dyed cloth using Hewit leather dyes, by heating the dye
solution to 140 F. and brushing onto both sides of a starch-filled cloth
such as Devon until it is fully saturated. It is possible to dye a piece
of natural-color book cloth to BLACK in one step. Quick and Easy!