[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
- To: Multiple recipients of list BOOK_ARTS-L <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: A.Word.A.Day--highbinder (fwd)
- From: Normandy Helmer <nhelmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 11:41:35 -0700
- Message-id: <199607262001.NAA24678@SUL-Server-2.Stanford.EDU>
- Sender: "The Book Arts: binding, typography, collecting" <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
A new dimension added to the binding profession...
Forwarded from the Word.A.Day list, a service which daily sends you a very
brief message with a definition and usage. See Web site cited below for
more info. Try it, you'll like it.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 00:51:19 -0400
From: Wordsmith <wsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
high.bind.er \-.bi-n-d*r\ n [the Highbinders, gang of vagabonds in New York
City ab1806] 1: a professional killer operating in the Chinese quarter of
an American city 2: a corrupt or scheming politician
1908 G. H. LORIMER, J. Spurlock xii. 324 "That's what I do mean-it
[sc. the railroad]'s been stolen by that Bonsall bunch of highbinders."
It is in vain to hope to please all alike. Let a man stand with his face
in what direction he will, he must necessarily turn his back on one half
of the world. -George Dennison Prentice
To subscribe or unsubscribe, please send a message to wsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
with "Subject:" line as "subscribe <Your Real Name>" or "unsubscribe".
Email anu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx if you have any questions, comments or suggestions.
Archives, FAQ, words and more at the WWW site: http://www.wordsmith.org/awad/