Re: Smoke in books

I've tried setting the books in a closed container with baking soda for a
period of a week or so. The baking soda shouldn't contact the book but
simply be in the same closed container. This worked on some smoked books I
had to re-case after a fire. It worked OK and the smell was M U C H worse
than a little smoker's problem. Karen Crisalli suggested this to me so if it
works for you you can pass thanks on to her.

At 06:46 AM 7/26/96 -0700, you wrote:
>We often have books that retain a smell from smokers.
>Does anyone have a sure fire way to deorderize pages?
>
>We have tried wrapping the book and placing in kitty litter.
>Are there any better methods?
>--
>              Broder's Rare and Used Books
>                 205 Columbia Boulevard
>                  Waterbury,  CT  06710
>           http://members.aol.com/bookssss/
>
>Postage: $3 for the first book $1 each additonal book
>within continental US.  All others email for rates.
>
>Always looking for Waterbury, CT books and ephemera.

Dr. Brian A. Roberts
Memorial University of Newfoundland