Re: everyone has a story to tell

Ed (Hutchins) et al

Yes, everyone does have a story to tell, but there are many ways to tell
that story. Books are only one of many methods of expression, and just
because we value books, dosen't mean everyone does. Books are only valued
by those who grow up with them. I believe it is accurate that children who
are read to become adults who read. The best way to encourage bookmaking is
to encourage reading. (Would you want to make something you never used?)
And the best way to encourage reading to read to children.

We should not encourage participation in an activity which seems trivial in
another culture.It's the old missionary hubris: worship my god, he's better
because I like him more.

If you advocate insitutional support for expression of "everybody's story,"
fund the art forms valued in the community, even if they're not the form of
expression you value, like rap music and Mtv. The way you tell the story is
part of the story.

-RS-

Richard
rwsiii@xxxxxxxxxxx