Re: Ebony-like binding

Could be Bakelite or cellulose nitrate. There is a book published some years
back by Abrams called "Plastic" which is essentially a history of the
materials and both of those were mentioned as having been used in books.

Peter

Syracuse University Library               <email>pdverhey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Syracuse, NY 13244                <Listowner>Book_Arts-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx