Re: flowers in paper

Hi all.

On Fri, 16 Aug 1996, Indigo Som wrote:

> question for all you helpful folks out there, regarding paper that has flower
> petals in it: what happens to it over time? do the petals turn brown & ugly?
> does it affect the rest of the paper? is there any paper w/ flower petals in
> it that can be considered archival? are there any other considerations i may
> have overlooked in deciding whether or not to use such a paper? thanks in
> advance for all & any answers...

The papermaking prof I teach with at the U here tells people to boil the
flower in question for about 20 minutes to minimize problems with
foxing, and to help remove tannic acids.  Then to use a heavier sizing (I
would vat size the paper with methylcel), to help seal the flower.  Of
course, that only really applies to paper that you're making yourself.

Other suggestions?

Jim

James T. Downey / Legacy Art & BookWorks, Inc.
Now with over 100 images and new featured artists at:
        http://www.legacyart.com
jdowney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx