Re: new to bookbinding

At 09:12 AM 8/27/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Me too!
>   There are so many of us, why don't you just post it to the whole
>group.
>
>--
>Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxx hseaver@xxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Mr. Seaver:
I hesitate to publish it to the whole group, since the short answer is a
plug for one of my books and for the magazine for which I write.
However, I'll leave it up to the boss to decide.

The best way I know to tell you how to do Perfect binding is to read my
book, "Books on Demand Publishing." It was published last year and describes
three methods in detail. Most of the information in the book has also been
published in Flash Magazine,  Black Lightning, Riddle Pond Road, West
Topsham, VT 05086.
 1-800-252-2599
1-802-439-6462
Fax 1-802-439-6463
holly@xxxxxxxxxxxx
I continue to write for Flash magazine. The magazine is $20 per year (six
issues) and the book is $19.95.

Believe it or not, the simplest process uses a glue gun and an electric
griddle.
    Use a padding press, or stack your book pages on the edge of a table,
with a colored sheet of paper between each book.
    Use a glue gun with a 1/16" nozzle to put vertical stripes of hot melt
glue about 1/2" apart. Don't put glue closer than 1/2" to the top and bottom
of the book, so it won't ooze out. The lines of glue don't have to be straight.
    Use a sharp knife to cut the book blocks apart and pull off the colored
sheets of paper.
    Print a book cover, preferably using Champion KromeKote 2000 C1S 8 point
paper. Score it and fold it so that the book just fits inside the cover.
    Use a thermal binding machine or heat an electric griddle to 375 degrees
F. If the cover is printed on a copier or a laser printer, put a sheet of
release paper on the hot platen.
    Run the thermal binding machine through its cycle twice (if you are
using a griddle, look to see when the glue melts enough to let the book
pages contact the book cover, about 15 seconds)
    Peel off the release paper, and let the books cool undisturbed for about
three minutes.
    Trim the books using a guillotine cutter if you have one. Substitutes
are a very sharp knife cutting along a straight edge, a standard bookbinders
plough, or a band saw or circular saw (using a wood fixture to hold the pages).
    There are several other methods, and lots more details.
    Hope this helps.
Rupert