Re: Copyright-copywrite

On Wed, 4 Sep 1996, Robert L. Maxwell wrote:

> I am interested to hear from someone who has actually had experience
> with these reprints from the "big" publishers.  I am of course aware
> that even big publishers can't put materials that are out of
> copyright back into copyright just by reprinting them; however, I
> have wondered if such publishers ever "sneak" additional material
> into the reprinted part (change a letter on page 10 or reduce part
> of a page slightly; or on the other hand, with a reset text,
> introduce minor changes, perhaps punctuation, etc., into the text) in
> order to keep others from re- reprinting and also to be able, later,
> if necessary, to prove that so-and-so reprinted from their own
> reprint. If the reprint publisher changed the page, even in a minor
> way, presumably if someone photographically (or otherwise) reproduced
> that page with that change he/she would be liable. Such changes need
> not be at all obvious. The question is, does this mildly deceptive
> practice exist? I have, because of this, thought it safer to get hold
> of an actual original copy of public domain material for reprints
> rather than reprint from a reprint (which, if unchanged, should
> theoretically be legal to copy). Further information from Sandra
> Still would be of interest.
>
> Bob Maxwell the Paranoid
>

> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> Robert L. Maxwell
> Special Collections and Ancient Languages cataloger
> 6428 Harold B. Lee Library
> Brigham Young University
> Provo, Utah 84602
> (801) 378-5568
> robert_maxwell@xxxxxxx  or  rlm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The true nature of the Copyright laws are really defined in the court
rooms. Publishers aren't in business to expose their profits to jury
decisions or count on them for revenue.  To publish books for a limited
audience just to try and catch a unsuspecting pirate would not only very
bad business but incredibly stupid.  The only publisher I could imagine
would be so poorly advised would be our federal government...and of
course the GPA dosen't generally worry about copyright considerations.
Imagine what the GPA would be like if it were run like the IRS!

The publishers will defend their copyrighted material if pirated AND if
the offense is worth defending in court (read $$$) but to use the risks of
mass publishing to create a piracy snare net is just a plain dumb way to
attempt to make money.

     M I C H A E L   M O R I N                M.F.A., M.L.S.

Director Celtic Press               Instructional Media Librarian
  Buffalo  New York                  D'Youville College Library
                    ba202@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
         Co-Moderator Buffalo Free-Net Preservation SIG