[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Stretching Vellum
- To: Multiple recipients of list BOOK_ARTS-L <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: Stretching Vellum
- From: Aidan J Meehan <ameehan@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 07:21:07 -0700
- Message-id: <199609141420.HAA22367@SUL-Server-2.Stanford.EDU>
- Sender: "The Book Arts: binding, typography, collecting" <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
R Starr wrote:
> Reading your message made me wonder if drum makers use vellum and, if so,
> how do they stretch it. This was brought about by your comment about
> "tight as a drum".
Yes indeed they do, R*.
In the olden days, they used to get a barrel of beer, place a sheet of
vellum over the top, and then push a big RING Over it...then they
emptied the barrel, just so as to get "tight as a drum".