Re: Stretching Vellum

On Fri, 13 Sep 1996, R Starr wrote:

> Reading your message made me wonder if drum makers use vellum and, if so,
> how do they stretch it.  This was brought about by your comment about
> "tight as a drum".

Over the years I have had the pleasure to play a 1910 Vega White Lady
long neck 5 string banjo that still has its original vellum head.  I have
also painted dead decorations on several musical instraments, which was
once a very popular olde tyme thing to on many skinned instraments,
including drums.

     M I C H A E L   M O R I N                M.F.A., M.L.S.

Director Celtic Press               Instructional Media Librarian
  Buffalo  New York                  D'Youville College Library
                    ba202@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
         Co-Moderator Buffalo Free-Net Preservation SIG