Re: Vellum

On Sat, 14 Sep 1996, Richard Minsky wrote:

> The only paper I've found which is similar in it's "pull" to vellum is
> called "Elephant Hide," and though I haven't bought any in a few years, I
> used to get it at NY Central Supply on 3rd ave. and 10th St.

Richard,

Have you tried Tim Barrett's cotton/linen paper from the U of Iowa's
paper lab?  He and his crew make a beautiful paper that can be stained or
otherwise prepared to appear and perform like vellum.  It's tough as
hell, but very attractive.  He also makes a washi type paper for mending
and fine hinges.  The sheet is made with thick and thin ribs (like those
funny socks) and can be seperated with out the need for pre-wetting.

Regards

     M I C H A E L   M O R I N                M.F.A., M.L.S.

Director Celtic Press               Instructional Media Librarian
  Buffalo  New York                  D'Youville College Library
                    ba202@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
         Co-Moderator Buffalo Free-Net Preservation SIG