[Table of Contents] [Search]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Help: Binding Type

On Wed, 18 Sep 1996, Peter Verheyen wrote:

> I need some help. One of our catalogers is working on a book and wants to
> describe the binding and I can't for the life of me remember what it is called.
> It is a prayer book, quite small with a semi limp cover. It also have a flap
> which comes from the back and slips under a "strap" on the front cover
> acting as a clasp.
> Anyone know.
> Peter
> >>>>>The tavern will compare favorably with the church, H.D. Thoreau<<<<<
> Peter D. Verheyen                                       <wk> 315.443.9937
> Conservation Librarian                                  <fax>315.443.9510
> Syracuse University Library               <email>pdverhey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Syracuse University                    <www>http://web.syr.edu/~pdverhey/
> Syracuse, NY 13244                <Listowner>Book_Arts-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dear Peter, Your binding may be a semi limp parchment binding with
fore-edge flap and strap. Look at the glossary in Bearman, Krivatsy, &
Mowery, "Fine and Historic Bookbindings from the Folger Shakespeare

Hope that's of help.

Frederick Bearman
Head of Conservation
Columbia University Libraries
535 West 114th Street
New York, NY 10027

[Subject index] [Index for current month] [Table of Contents] [Search]