[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Lye and Soda Ash
- To: Multiple recipients of list BOOK_ARTS-L <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Lye and Soda Ash
- From: Kathy Crump <PAPRMKR@xxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 20:51:50 -0400
- Message-id: <199609250052.RAA14838@SUL-Server-2.Stanford.EDU>
- Sender: "The Book Arts: binding, typography, collecting" <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Michael had good advice about lye which should extend to both lye and soda
ash. It is easy to get careless or have an accident. Even a mild solution
will burn off your skin. If your hands feel slippery when washing off the
alkaline solution, you will lose a layer of skin. Been there, done that!
Also. remember to rinse the pulp very well and soak it in plain water before
you make paper to reduce the alkaline content. Test your pulp with pH strips
to be sure it is not too alkaline.