Re: Lye and Soda Ash

On Tue, 24 Sep 1996, Kathy Crump wrote:

> Michael had good advice about lye which should extend to both lye and soda
> ash.  It is easy to get careless or have an accident.  Even a mild solution
> will burn off your skin.  If your hands feel slippery when washing off the
> alkaline solution, you will lose a layer of skin.  Been there, done that!
> Also. remember to  rinse the pulp very well and soak it in plain water before
> you make paper to reduce the alkaline content.  Test your pulp with pH strips
> to be sure it is not too alkaline.
> Kathy

Thanks for the backup Kathy.  I don't want to see anyone get into trouble
when alternatives are avaiable.  I was hoping that I could save any else
from that weird  flaking of the top skin.  I thought I was radioactive
until I remembered that I had cleaned a 1/4 inch thick layer of 50 year
old ink for a printing roller.  Hot lye made the ink sluff off
like...like,well dead skin! I started wearing gloves and a face shield after
that.  Good test advice by the way.

Hope all is in bloom,

     M I C H A E L   M O R I N                M.F.A., M.L.S.

Director Celtic Press               Instructional Media Librarian
  Buffalo  New York                  D'Youville College Library
                    ba202@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
         Co-Moderator Buffalo Free-Net Preservation SIG