Re: medieval English endbands

Instructions on this type of endband and others can be found in several
sources. One of the best, in English is by Monika Gast, A History of
Endbands. This is based on a study by Karl Jaeckel and was published by
Designer Bookbinders in the New Bookbinder, No. 3, 1983.

There is also Jane Greenfield and Jenny Hille's book "Endbands." This, I
believe, was just reprinted again by Oak Knoll.

Of the two I very much prefer the Monika Gast piece since the drawings and
text are clearer and more intuitive.

The technique does sound quite familiar and some like it are described in
these works.

Peter

Syracuse University Library               <email>pdverhey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Syracuse, NY 13244                <Listowner>Book_Arts-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx