Re: Bugs/Mites in Paper

Yes I remember reading this message last week, so it did go through.  I too
have seen these little grey spider type bugs in my handmade papers.  I
thought it was because my studio is in the downstairs of our home where
there are many layers of dust for them to live in.  I also guessed that
maybe because I make papers using plant fibres and manila hemp (abaca) that
they are drawn to the natural fibre.  Or maybe they can miraculously survive
cooking, hollander beating, drowning, 20 ton pressing and dry box drying.
Look out cockroach!

If anyone knows who these critters are, please speak up!

Thanks,
Colette Johnson-Vosberg
Hampton, New Brunswick, Canada

>From time to time I see very small grey bugs, much smaller than an ant or
>flea, in my cast paper pieces and handmade paper.  I have a feeling that
>I've been seeing these things in paper my whole life, but they now are
>taking on a greater significance.  (A friend who has a collection of old
>books says she sees them all the time and that they are paper mites.)  They
>seem to sort of walk about industriously.  Does anyone know what they might
>be and if they are likely to cause problems in the structure of the paper?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Photo

-----
>       Learn to tell a Masterblamer from a common political hack.
>
>          Visit Pin the Blame:  http://www.vais.net/~photo
-----

Colette Johnson-Vosberg