Removing glue and labels from book spines

Steve Anderson (Baltimore County Circuit Court) suggested that I try you
folks.  Greg Vince (Engelwood, Colo) recommended "GOO GONE" by Magic and
I heard about using alcohol.  You may have other suggestions.  So here's
my message:

I'm sorry to do this- I'm not on lawlib, but does anyone have a quick
reference on what solvents to use to remove different types of labels
(paper, fabric, clear plastic) and glue (white glue, rubber cement,
adhesives from labels) from different types of bindings (leather, vinyl,
paper, etc)?   I have 30 years of multiple merger acquisitions to put
into condition for new labels.  It would be even better if the list were
by title/publisher (We have 15,000 vols approx-Fed, Fed 2d, ALRs, AmJur,
Fed Supp, Pac, Pac Dig, West's BR, FRD, Restatements, assorted small
practice sets, single title and gooey 3 ring binders).

Also please comment on fumes, if any, hazards and safety precautions.
Since I'm in a closed environment (on the 30th floor) I'm looking for
safe and easy.