Book: Papermaking Equipment

Papermaking colleagues:
  In the process of setting up a papermaking studio, I was often frustrated
by the lack of information on the building of equipment for the hand
papermaker. Most books focus on the process of papermaking and only touch on
the subject of building equipment.
  There is a need for an all-in-one source covering all aspects of studio
equipment. I HOPE TO FILL THIS GAP BY SELF-PUBLISHING A COMPREHENSIVE BOOK
ON THE BUILDING OF EQUIPMENT FOR THE HAND PAPERMAKER. I will concentrate on
equipment used in the Western style of papermaking. The book will be basic
enough to be helpful to a novice and in-depth enough to benefit the
experienced papermaker.
  In addition to my own experience, I can't overlook an enormous resource:
other papermakers who have been involved in studio setup, including members
of Paper-L. I AM INTERESTED IN YOUR IDEAS AND EXPERIENCES ABOUT ANY ASPECT
OF BUILDING EQUIPMENT OR SETTING UP A STUDIO. In exchange for your
contribution you will be acknowledged in the book. I am seeking information
about all aspects of studio equipment including but not restricted to the
following:

MOULDS: Window screen; heat-shrinking polypropylene; mahogany-laid moulds;
innovative moulds.

DECKLES: Materials.

DECKLE BOXES: Used to make sample sheets; have you made and/or used a
Nepalese style deckle box?

WATERMARKS: Examples of contemporary watermarks; unconventional methods of
producing watermarks.

VATS: Have you built an advanced vat with a hog or heating devices?

METHODS OF BEATING: Any information excluding the building of Hollanders.

METHODS OF CUTTING OR SHREDDING RAW MATERIALS: Any information.

CALANDERING: Have you built a set of calandering rolls?

VACUUM SYSTEMS: Any information.

PRESSES: Simple wood through to screw and steel hydraulic presses.

FELTS: Do you know of creative alternatives?

DRYING SYSTEMS: Drying racks; drying boxes.

GENERAL STUDIO EQUIPMENT: Strainers; mixers.

If you have any other ideas or suggestions that may be of value to this
work, feel free to contact me. I look forward to hearing from you.

You can contact me at the following:

Castle Paper & Press
1007F - 55 Ave. N.E.
Calgary, Alberta