Re: the death of pyroxylin coated book cloths (fwd)

Pyroxylin is nitrocellulose.  As it degrades and ages it becomes
increasingly flammable.  This was the base for old movie film before the
invention of cellulose acetate(s) (i.e. "safety film").  It has also been
used as a binder for pigments.

I suspect that cheaper, easier to get plastics/polymers as coatings are
replacing this material.  It may be an economic issue for the
manufacturer of the cloth.  Pyroxylin may be regulated by the US federal
government (e.g. OSHA, NIOSH) although this entire paragraph is
speculation on my part.

Stephanie Watkins
swatkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx