Re: various papers

such as Falkiner's Age Compatible Paper and Bodelian Toned Laid (which were
available here in the UK) through an ordinary photocopier.  This has been
necessary to restore missing leaves in books I have rebound.  The British
Library provided the copy, which was used as a secondary master.   It can be
expensive if the sheet is not carefully placed, it is also more difficult to
get the registration correct for leaves with text both sides as the paper
sometimes cockles!   It is best to practice with ordinary copier paper first to
get the registration correct.  The result is very good,  even if the 'ink'
looks too black perhaps.   I have not tried the thicker handmade papers yet for
replacing missing engravings.   There might be a problem with some older
copiers where a metal drum is used to transfer the image  -  the clearance may
not be sufficient,  and the paper may tend to jam.

Rodney Fry ,   rod.fry@xxxxxxxx