Re: SHARP Book History Prize

  I notice that the announcement of the Sharp prize considers itself to
be "broadly defining" its scope by limiting itself to the subjects of
script and print.  Does it not occur to those who consider themselves
historians of the book that BINDING might somehow enter into it?  What
ails these folks?  They certainly don't appear all that sharp to me.
  My hope is that the mention of "publishing" would include the
consideration of material form, including bindings and materials.  Perhaps
Mr. Rose or some other member of the committee could clarify the
question.  I would certainly hope that any organization devoted to the
history of the book would consider the physical object as well as the text!

 Dorothy Africa

Dorothy C. Africa
bookbinder, Harvard Law School Library
africa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx