Re: dry rotted suede

for powdered leather I have read and tried krylon clear-that is krylon clear
spray paint-at hardware stores on a 18 century binding. and the clear bonded
the powder but made it darker--to save the gold tooling- you need a few
coats to soak into the powder-they put varnish over oil paintings to
preserve them through the centuries-that is why they have a cracked surface.

>Sorry, but there is no satisfactory consolidant for suede (or other
>leather) which has degraded to the point of powdering away.  Because the
>powdered leather can get into text blocks, staining and degrading the paper
>there, it would be best to have those books rebound.
>
>If, for one reason or another, it is not practical to rebind them, they
>should be wrapped, to isolate them from other books.
>
>Jack
>

>>Does anyone know of a consolidant (or treatment) for suede
>>that has dry rotted?
>
>>    +-----+---------+----------+----------+----------+----------+-----+
>>        Terrence Collins                 collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>        Library Associate-Periodicals    phone: 910-917-5423
>>        Gramley Library, Salem College   f a x: 910-917-5339
>>        Winston-Salem, NC  27108         Tell the truth and run!
>>+---------+---------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
>
>Jack C. Thompson
>Thompson Conservation Lab.
>7549 N. Fenwick
>Portland, OR  97217
>
>www.teleport.com/~tcl

                                            Brought to you by WWWebMasters
(204.214.98.131) and
                                              SOFIE at the GEARS Project's
OASIS (204.214.98.130)

                 We build Internet access points of presence in rural areas
for communities, investors,
                 non-profit organizations, and members general public welfare.

                                                                    Local
Access.... Global Reach!